Dr. Karen Eshoo, Head of School Elect, describes how early childhood education sets the stage for success in cognitive, social, and emotional development. King School intentionally nurtures a growth mindset, supports project based learning, and fosters students’ social and emotional growth.
We invite you to learn about the Academic Preschool and Private Kindergarten programs at King School. Explore the King Lower School benefits below, browse the LS Curriculum, and check out the LS News and Events. If you feel King Lower School might be right for your child, click the links below to inquire for more information about the school, schedule an on campus visit or to view our online application.
Private PreKindergarten & Kindergarten
Begin your academic journey in the King Lower School where our excellent, caring Faculty help students develop a foundation of skills vital for future learning and success. King Faculty are deeply committed to a personalized approach to teaching and learning. We believe knowing students well is crucial for learning, because students who feel known and understood are more likely to engage fully.
King Full Day and Half Day PreK and Full Day Kindergarten students actively and joyfully experience a rigorous academic curriculum. An experiential, interactive program nurtures a love of learning and working with others, and teaches students how to ask questions, make discoveries, think critically, and analyze and solve problems. The core of our PreKindergarten and Full Day Kindergarten program focuses on Language Arts, Science, Technology, Engineering, Math, and Social Studies, and our additional cross grade subjects and courses expand students’ learning even further.
- Readers and Writers workshop approach engages students with material that is of high interest and aligns with their personal goals. Students develop as avid and skilled readers and writers.
- Teachers address whole group skills and differentiate for the needs of each student within smaller groups and one-on-one meetings.
Science, TECHnology, engineering & math (STEM)
- Students observe, discover, predict, and question.
- New Makerspace, Lower School Science Lab, Computer Science Media Center, and classroom activities all provide inspiration and tools for students to tinker and practice designing solutions to real world problems, so students gain a greater sense of self-confidence and purpose.
- Highly respected Singapore Math Program is supported with hands-on activities and manipulatives, helping students move from the concrete to the pictorial to the abstract.
- Children learn to view the world through a variety of perspectives to understand their role as a member of a global community.
- Songs, stories and art projects encourage students to appreciate national, cultural, and religious diversity.
ADDITIONAL CROSS GRADE SUBJECTS AND COURSES
- Students explore Spanish, Library, Art, Music, and Physical Education.