Earlier this week the Parents' Association welcomed Cristina Young as she presented Understanding the Teenage Brain: The Keys to Improving a Challenging Relationship. Ms. Young, a Licensed Clinical Social Worker and Therapist with 25-years of experience, led an authentic discussion on the challenges and joys of parenting teenagers in today's environment.
King: Private Preschool in Stamford, CT
We invite you to discover the learning programs in our academic Preschool program, PreKindergarten (starting at age 3) and Kindergarten, at King School. Explore the King Preschool program benefits, browse our rigorous curriculum, and check out the Lower School in Action stories. If you feel King Lower School might be right for your child, click the links below to inquire for more information about the school, schedule an on campus visit or to view our online application. We look forward to welcoming you on campus!
King Lower School
Private Preschool/PreKindergarten Program
Begin your child's academic journey in the King Lower School where our excellent, caring Faculty help students develop a foundation of skills vital for future learning and success. Faculty are deeply committed to King's approach to teaching and learning. We believe knowing students well is crucial for learning, because students who feel known and understood are more likely to engage fully.
At King's full day PreK students, starting at age 3, actively and joyfully experience a wonderful balanced program that develops both academic and social skills through intentionally-designed curricular experiences. The King Lower School program nurtures a love of learning and working with others, and teaches students how to ask questions, make discoveries, think critically, and analyze and solve problems.
Project work is at the core of our Preschool program. Project work develops skills in Language Arts, Science, Technology, Engineering, Math, and Social Studies, plus our additional Specialist subjects and courses expand students’ learning even further.
- Children’s early literacy skills emerge as they begin to write and read. Our workshop approach engages students with material that is of high interest and aligns with their personal goals. Students begin to develop as skilled readers and writers as they learn through project work and delve deeply into topics of interest.
- Teachers address whole group skills and differentiate for the needs of each student within smaller groups and one-on-one meetings.
Science, TECHnology, engineering & math (STEM)
- Students observe, discover, predict, and question.
- Makerspace, Lower School Science Lab, Computer Science Media Center, and classroom activities all provide inspiration and tools for students to tinker and practice designing solutions to real world problems, so students gain a greater sense of self-confidence and purpose.
- Highly respected Singapore Math Program is supported with hands-on activities and manipulatives, helping students move from the concrete to the pictorial to the abstract.
- Learn more about STEM
- Children learn to view the world through a variety of perspectives to understand their role as a member of a global community.
- We value primary sources as students get to know the King community and local area, engaging in direct and meaningful experiences.
- Songs, stories and art projects encourage students to appreciate national, cultural, and religious diversity.
ADDITIONAL CROSS GRADE SUBJECTS AND COURSES
Full-Day PreK: Monday - Friday
King is pleased to offer after school care for children in Full Day Preschool-Grade 5. Qualified Staff and US students interact with the children in a casual, fun environment after school.
Facilities: Most activities take place within the LS Media Center, where children have access to books, magazines, computers, and cozy seating. Weather permitting, the program takes advantage of King’s fields and playground.
Hours of Operation: Monday-Friday, 2:45-5:30 p.m., when school is in session. There is no after school care on early dismissal days.
Learn More About After School Care
Our first Spanish assembly was truly successful as it met all the goals we hoped to achieve. It allowed the students to practice their Spanish and learn about a very important topic; that of environmental conservation and the ways we can take part in helping reduce our carbon footprint.
Saturday, April 13 was the fourth annual King Cares Family Service Day. Over 250 students, parents, family members, friends, and staffulty came together to support 10 of King's partner organizations, and the day concluded with the US student Midnight Run. The mission of the King Cares Service Program is to support the values-based education at King School. This Program reinforces the School's belief that service to the broader community, both local and international, is central to educational excellence.
The King Community took a trip around the world last week and never left the LS gymnasium. It was an afternoon filled with memories of faraway places where the roots of our community began; delicious food once shared by families much like our own; and the differences that bring us together.
King is excited to host its fifth annual El Sistema Residency April 6-8 when talented musicians from our Middle and Upper Schools collaborate in intensive music workshops with visiting students of various El Sistema USA programs, including Stamford's own Project Music. The overarching focus of the residency is to inspire a connection between communities of different socioeconomic backgrounds, using the music ensemble as the vehicle through which to inspire deeper communication.