A group of six Upper School students and six staffulty, including Head of School Karen Eshoo, from multiple divisions and disciplines traveled together for and experienced an insightful and transformative experience at the NAIS People of Color Conference and the Student Diversity Leadership Conference in December. As student Hanhah Greene '21 enthused, "What was so compelling about this conference was meeting people from all around the country living totally different lives, but were able to connect and find such close similarities between one another."
King: Private Preschool in Stamford, CT
A Better Standard for Preschool education
When preschool children see education as a place to experiment, create, construct, and connect, they develop a more expansive mindset about what school can offer them. They experience education as a path of discovery, understanding, wonder, and joy.
These ideas are grounded in the Reggio-Emilia inspired, project-based teaching and learning practiced in the King School Preschool. We encourage our PreKindergarten (starting at age 3) and Kindergarten learners to collaboratively explore intentionally created vibrant classroom spaces where children are actively engaged in the process of learning from the earliest ages.
King Lower School
Private Preschool/PreKindergarten Program
Begin your child's academic journey in the King Lower School where our excellent, caring Faculty help students develop a foundation of skills vital for future learning and success. Faculty are deeply committed to King's approach to teaching and learning. We believe knowing students well is crucial for learning, because students who feel known and understood are more likely to engage fully.
At King's full day PreK students, starting at age 3, actively and joyfully experience a wonderful balanced program that develops both academic and social skills through intentionally-designed curricular experiences. The King Lower School program nurtures a love of learning and working with others, and teaches students how to ask questions, make discoveries, think critically, and analyze and solve problems.
Project work is at the core of our Preschool program. Project work develops skills in Language Arts, Science, Technology, Engineering, Math, and Social Studies, plus our additional Specialist subjects and courses expand students’ learning even further.
- Children’s early literacy skills emerge as they begin to write and read. Our workshop approach engages students with material that is of high interest and aligns with their personal goals. Students begin to develop as skilled readers and writers as they learn through project work and delve deeply into topics of interest.
- Teachers address whole group skills and differentiate for the needs of each student within smaller groups and one-on-one meetings.
Science, TECHnology, engineering & math (STEM)
- Students observe, discover, predict, and question.
- Makerspace, Lower School Science Lab, Computer Science Media Center, and classroom activities all provide inspiration and tools for students to tinker and practice designing solutions to real world problems, so students gain a greater sense of self-confidence and purpose.
- Highly respected Singapore Math Program is supported with hands-on activities and manipulatives, helping students move from the concrete to the pictorial to the abstract.
- Learn more about STEM
- Children learn to view the world through a variety of perspectives to understand their role as a member of a global community.
- We value primary sources as students get to know the King community and local area, engaging in direct and meaningful experiences.
- Songs, stories and art projects encourage students to appreciate national, cultural, and religious diversity.
ADDITIONAL CROSS GRADE SUBJECTS AND COURSES
Full-Day PreK: Monday - Friday
King is pleased to offer after school care for children in Full Day Preschool-Grade 5. Qualified Staff and US students interact with the children in a casual, fun environment after school.
Facilities: Most activities take place within the LS Media Center, where children have access to books, magazines, computers, and cozy seating. Weather permitting, the program takes advantage of King’s fields and playground.
Hours of Operation: Monday-Friday, 2:45-5:30 p.m., when school is in session. There is no after school care on early dismissal days.
The process of following natural curiosity and wonder throughout the day, with guidance from the teacher, is central to King's use of the Reggio Emilia approach to early childhood education. The curriculum is self-guided, as students learn through experience in a relationship-driven environment.
The Class of 2020 has achieved success in the classroom, on the athletic fields, and on the stage; now they are preparing to pursue lives of ongoing inquiry and purpose in college. Congratulations to the 43 seniors who have been accepted and have already committed to attend their first choice college or university!
The Lower School Library was transformed into an interactive carnival complete with a Lego ferris wheel, games, and prizes as Grade 3 students presented their Motion Carnival on Wednesday afternoon. Students have been studying the properties of forces and motion and to further their understanding of the concepts, they created carnival games that demonstrate these properties and also explored engineering concepts through the design of each game.
Grade 5 students enthusiastically accepted the challenge of researching to become experts on their topic of choice and then applying their learning by authoring, creating, and presenting digital, nonfiction books. This informational writing initiative was part of the Grade 5 Writing Workshop that helps students master a variety of approaches to writing.