MS Dress Code
At King, we work to prepare students to thrive in a rapidly changing world. We recognize that one's attire is a method of expressing and exploring personal identity. Simultaneously, our dress code acknowledges the fact that attire is also a function of space and time and reflects one's connection to the community. As such, we offer multiple standards of dress that mirror various environments that students may encounter.
The Middle School supports a reasonable, appropriate Dress Code that fosters individuality, neatness, respect, and a sense of community. Choices are provided, allowing for important expressions of individuality without encouraging excessive display of fads. We expect students to approach dress in a spirit of cooperation and good taste. Our goal is for students to show by their neat appearance throughout the day that they respect the learning environments.
Exceptions to the Dress Code may be requested based on cultural, medical, or religious grounds at any time.
OVERALL GUIDELINES FOR DRESS
- During the school day, all students must be in dress code. Students are expected to wear shorts or pants near or on their natural waistlines.
- Tights, leggings, or spandex may not take the place of the length of a skirt or shorts.
- Sandals or backless shoes are not permitted.
- Students may wear team uniform tops when the team on which they participate has a scheduled game.
- Students may not wear t-shirts over collared shirts
DRESS CODE VENDOR
With the exception of the plaid kilt and navy/khaki skirts (access Lands' End purchase store here), families are free to purchase any brand of clothing, provided they meet the standards outlined by division.
DAILY STANDARD of Dress
The Daily Standard of Dress is to be observed 8:00 a.m. - 3:15 p.m. The expectation is for students to arrive on campus dressed appropriately for school as indicated in the following chart.
Solid polo or any collared dress shirt
Any official King shirt, sweatshirt, or fleece
Solid color crew or V-neck sweater, buttoned cardigan, or vest
- Solid color
- Graphic-free and text-free
- King logo sweatshirts are permitted
Fleece: Solid color, text-free
Khaki/Navy corduroy or chino pants or shorts
Khaki/Navy chino skort or King plaid skort
Previously purchased King plaid/Navy/Khaki skirts with spandex shorts/leggings
- Sneakers are acceptable
- No sandals
- Shoes must have a solid back
- Flats only – no high heels
FORMAL STANDARD OF DRESS
The following guidelines apply to the occasional formal dress days during the school year:
White, navy, or oxford blue, collared shirt with sleeves
Khaki/Navy chino pants or shorts
Khaki/Navy chino skort; King plaid skort
Leggings are allowed under skorts
- Solid colored socks or tights
- No sneakers
RELAXED STANDARD OF DRESS
The Relaxed Standard of Dress is to be observed from 8:00 a.m. - 3:15 p.m. on Dress-Down Days designated by the School and announced in advance.
PROHIBITED ITEMS AT ANY TIME:
- Clothing that does not cover the entire torso, shoulder, or upper thigh
- Clothing that is not the appropriate size (as per the discretion of administrators)
- Shirts, sweatshirts, or pants with offensive or intolerant language or pictures on them, including references to drug and /or alcohol use
- Hats indoors
- Outdoor jackets and/or coats indoors
- Torn clothing, or clothing with holes in it
- See-through or gauze-like clothing
- Pajamas and/or loungewear
- Sandals or flip-flops
CONCERT STANDARD of Dress
To be observed by students in Choir or Instrumental Music at all concerts.
- White blouse or white dress shirt only, not sleeveless
- Navy/black slacks or skirt with fitted belt
- Skirts must be of knee to mid-calf length
Shoes: Preferably brown or black, no sneakers
athletics standard of dress
To ensure that students’ Athletics experience is as rewarding as possible, we ask that students be properly prepared for each practice and/or game. Students will need to be in the proper attire for each session, including dress down days and also be prepared to be outside as long as the weather permits.
- Athletic wear, gym bags, and pants, and other athletic practice apparel are available at the School store.