King Connects is an alumni/student mentorship program designed to provide a meaningful experience for our students to learn from alumni in the fields that they are most passionate about pursuing in their journey after King.
Our students LOVE Career Day and having alumni come back to speak with them in their classes. King Connects will expand on these programs and provide an opportunity that they’ve been longing for! More importantly, as we continue to advance the mission of our school to be a premier research-based institution and foster a lifetime love of learning, this program will provide experiential learning and mentoring for students that will set them apart from their peers in their journey after King.
Our Director of Talent Development, Lindsey Rossler, in partnership with the Alumni office, developed this year-long program to not only advance the mission of the School but in addition strengthen the bonds between students and alumni, and create relationships that will last a lifetime.
We have 12 students in the Class of 2022 and 2023 that would like to connect with YOU!
So what does that mean for you:
- Fields of interest: Research (Humanities), Business (advertising, marketing, consulting, sales), Law, Government, Finance/Accounting/Banking, Social Work, Education (teaching, higher ed, ed-tech, policy, administration), Entertainment (music, film, television, talent, writing, directing, producing)
- Time commitment: Seven hours total over the course of the 2021-2022 school year. The program will run the entirety of the academic year and we would love for you to spend one-hour a month with your mentee, either virtual or in-person.
- Curriculum: We have designed seven areas of focus for your hour-long discussions with our students. These areas of focus are:
- Breaking the Ice - get to know your mentee/mentor Goal setting - Where do I want to go? How will I get there?
- Resume building - How do I set myself apart from the competition in this line of work
- Interviewing and communication strategies - what are best practices in your industry?
- Networking - the importance of building your network and making connections
- Creating the path forward
- Day in the life of (insert your job here)
Our students will be connected with the best and brightest in the fields that they are passionate about to learn from and provide the necessary tools to follow in your footsteps. As the program progresses we would love to see an unpaid internship or shadow program begin for King seniors during the May term of their Senior year.
Interested in being a mentor?
Hear from some of our mentees!
" I want to be a part of the mentorship program to start networking early with people who share similar interests with me and who are experts in fields that I might want to go into. "
- Maddy B, interested in research (humanities)
" Some of the things I hope that this mentor would be able to give me are tips to help make my dreams come true, provide answers to questions that I’ll have, and help ease my mind when I start to think about the challenges I’ll face in my future after high school. "
- Lilah S, interested in business
" I would like to explore my career path and a mentor could ensure I don’t lose focus, continue down that road even when I am distracted by day-to-day pressures and define key goals. "
- Leonardo B, interested in finance
" I think it would be great to work in a field where I could use my history knowledge and skills to my advantage. "
- Tommy H, interested in finance, accounting, banking
" I think working directly with someone who is actively making a difference can inspire me and push me to become better. I hope to learn more about specific opportunities that may open up to me and how to take advantage of those opportunities. "
- Catie B, interested in social work
" I have also grown in my overall interest in my family’s native country of Ghana, and one day wish to hold political office there. Convening with a mentor would help me learn techniques and provide opportunities to discuss such topics with those who have experience working in those fields. "
- Adom L, interested in public service
" I'd like to be part of this program so I can learn what kinds of jobs are legitimate in the fields I'm interested in, how realistic my choices are, and I'd also just be so excited to learn about other people's stories and how they got to where they are now. "
- Luisa S, interested in entertainment
" I believe that this opportunity of working with king alumni will not only allow me to grow with my passion to work with people and make a difference, but also to begin networking with professionals within the field to create connections for during and after college. "
- Ashley F, interested in social work
" I feel that a mentorship program is the perfect first step of my journey to discovering what I want to make out of my life post-King."
- Kenny B, interested in law