We have developed strategies for returning to campus in many areas of personal protection, including but not limited to:
Face Mask and Coverings
All staffulty and students in Grades K - 12 will be required to wear a mask while they are inside buildings, and when they are near other people outside buildings. Students in PK should bring in a mask everyday, but will only wear a mask when socially distancing is not possible.
- Cloth masks that cover the nose and mouth and that fit securely on the face, without a valve or a ventilator, will be acceptable. Gators are not acceptable face coverings. King will provide every student and colleague with one King-branded cloth mask; all students and colleagues are responsible for maintaining their own supply of masks for their personal use. Please remember that cloth masks should be washed after each day's use.
- The school will provide plastic face shields for some uses on campus, such as in science labs. Students and colleagues may choose to wear a face shield in addition to a cloth mask, but a face shield is not a replacement for a cloth mask. King also will keep a supply of disposable masks on hand.
In specific cases where a N95 mask is required for a project or science experiment, training will be provided and students and staffulty will complete a form required from Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). We are aware of “mask fatigue,” and we will provide opportunities throughout the day for students to go outside and remove their mask.
Everyone on campus will be required to wash their hands and/or use hand sanitizer upon entry into each building and into classrooms and offices.
- Hand sanitizing stations have been added throughout the campus in classrooms, offices, and public spaces for easy access throughout the day.
- We will train all students and colleagues on the best ways to wash their hands with soap and water, and will post instructions in all restrooms. We also will limit the number of people who can use the restrooms at any given time in order to maintain social distancing protocols.
Surfaces will be cleaned throughout the day, and will be thoroughly cleaned each evening.
- We are rearranging the schedules for our maintenance staff so that we have a larger number of team members here during the school day to keep the campus clean, as well as a well-trained evening crew who will clean more thoroughly every night.
- We are following the Connecticut guidelines on cleaning protocols for schools.
Every student and every colleague will be required to submit a health questionnaire every day through an app before arriving on campus to demonstrate that they are not experiencing any symptoms related to COVID-19 or other illness that should keep them home.
- It has always been the rule at King that parents need to keep their children home when they are ill; colleagues are expected to stay home when they are ill as well. It is more important than ever now that families and colleagues monitor their health daily, and stay away from campus if they show any signs of illness (particularly fever, shortness of breath, loss of taste and/or smell).
- While we will keep a supply of forehead thermometers in each building, we do not plan to take temperatures of students and colleagues as they enter the buildings every day.
- We are researching the possibility for periodic testing for the coronavirus for all students and colleagues, and will communicate our plans in the coming weeks.