This page provides helpful resources to learn about the coronavirus, stay healthy, and speak with children about the virus.
The CDC recommends that in the United States people stay home as much as possible and practice social distancing. As the virus outbreak varies by location, the CDC suggests people check with the state or local authorities to learn about current travel restrictions.
The US Department of State on March 31, 2020 issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory that "advises U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19." The Advisory explains, "In countries where commercial departure options remain available, U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period. U.S. citizens who live abroad should avoid all international travel."
Precautions Recommended by CDC
- Practice social distancing. Stay home as much as possible.
- Avoid close contact with sick people.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or use an alcohol-based hand rub.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a cloth face cover when around others.
- Cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces daily.