King School Supports Harlem Lacrosse
The King Boys and Girls Varsity Lacrosse teams will be hosting the Harlem Lacrosse (HL) organization to our campus on Sunday, April 28 for a day of drills, clinic and lunch. HL is a school based, non-profit organization that provides academic intervention, leadership training and lacrosse to at-risk youths. Established in 2008, HL is a way to engage academically and behaviorally challenged students through lacrosse. Low-income areas and inner city environments don't receive the exposure that our students at King do because of the lack of playing fields, cost of equipment and cultural barriers.
Lacrosse teaches players leadership, confidence and discipline, which are some of the main reasons that HL was established. In addition to introducing the sport of lacrosse to these students, each child is provided with year round tutoring, academic guidance, and behavioral intervention.
We are so pleased that King is supporting the girls and boys lacrosse program’s relationship with HL again this year. Students here at King would be shocked by the lack of basic items these students have, many don't even have proper sneakers to wear on the fields. We will be having an equipment drive and fundraiser for the HL students and we will present the organization with the items during their visit to King on April 28. HL has provided us with a list of items that they are in need of and the items include: sticks, gently used sneakers or cleats, new mouth guards. Last year we raised over $5,000 and all the funds raised were used and appreciated.
We know that not everyone plays lacrosse at King, so there are other ways to help the students at the P.S. 149 School - The Sojourner Truth School and that includes sponsoring a child. Here are a few examples of how your donations can help the kids at P.S. 149:
- $15.00 Underwrites lacrosse tape
- $35.00 Underwrites a students school supplies for Study Hall at HLL
- $50.00 Underwrites snacks for a weekend event
- $100.00 Underwrites 3 pairs of student athletic goggles with glasses
- $110.00 Underwrites bucket of lacrosse balls
- $200.00 Underwrites meals for Truth Program trip to DC
- $300.00 Underwrites sponsors 2 HL students to attend a Summer Camp
All checks should be written out to: Harlem Lacrosse and either donated in person at the designated times listed below or sent directly to Mrs. Raidt at King. We will have a table set up at the following events and lacrosse games at King for donations:
- King Cares Family Service Day: Saturday, April 13, 8:30-9:30 a.m. (LS courtyard)
- Boys Grade 7-8 game: Thursday, April 11, 3:30 p.m. (New Canaan Country School)
- Boys Varsity game: Wednesday, April 17, 2:30 p.m. (South Kent)
- Girls Varsity game: Wednesday, April 17, 4:30 p.m. (Wilbraham & Monson Academy)
- Girls Varsity game: Monday, April 22, 4:15 p.m. (Harvey)
- Girls Grade 7-8 game: Tuesday, April 23, 3:30 p.m. (Rippowam-Cisqua)
- Boys Varsity game: Wednesday, April 24, 4:30 p.m. (Rye)
- Girls Varsity game: Saturday, April 27, 1:00 p.m. (Ms. Halls)
- Middle School during drop-off (7:40-8:00 a.m.): Monday, April 24-Friday, April 26
Thank you for supporting this great cause and we look forward to King maintaining and building a stronger relationship with HL each year.
Dylan Ross '21 & Henry Meyer '19, Chris Della Jacono '19, Kenny Dyson '19, Jack McOsker '19, Riley Hicks '19, Chrissy Nelli '19, Claire Tully '19, Matty Goldman '25