After capturing their 5th-straight NEPSAC Championship last November, King Volleyball returns this Fall with a new look squad and a softer surface to play on as Head Coach Tung Tran and the Vikings take their talents to the sand at the Italian Center for some Beach Volleyball and the chance to hone their skills...
When students take part in physical pursuits and athletic competition, they experience the values of perseverance, leadership, and respect. Athletes who positively partner with others and commit to define their path to excellence emerge more confident and well-rounded. King School Athletics offers a diverse program from physical education to competitive teams, designed as an essential component of the overall educational experience. To achieve athletic excellence demands constant growth and teamwork, and our students are supported by coaches and teammates in an engaging and challenging atmosphere. We also take Viking Pride in our championship teams and our many college athletes! Learn how all students will benefit from an exciting transformation of our athletics facilities as we redesign and turf the middle fields at King.
- Physical Education for PreK-Grade 5.
- Competitive and non-competitive athletic offerings grades 6-8 and grades 9-12.
- Leadership and character building development programming for athletes and coaches.
- Two full-time athletic trainers and two strength coaches on staff to help support the health, well-being, and conditioning of our student-athletes.
- Assigned member of College Counseling Department for students considering college athletics.
- Service Learning and Global Education initiatives and opportunities for teams including Basketball programming in China and Soccer programming in Colombia. More to come!
- Community Partnerships: Positive Coaching Alliance, Chelsea Piers, and HSS Stamford Health.
King School Vikings Fast Facts
- 45 FAA League & Tournament Championships / 21 NEPSAC Championships/ 8 Sportsmanship Awards
- Titles/Awards Won by: Girls Volleyball, Football, Softball, Baseball, Boys Lacrosse, Crew, Ice Hockey, Girls Basketball, Boys Soccer, Boys Tennis, Girls Cross Country LEARN MORE
- Girls Volleyball has won last 5 FAA and 4 NEPSAC Titles, with incredible 93-4 record!
- Football 22-6 over last three seasons, winning two New England Championships!
- 25 college athletes in the classes of 2018 and 2019 with 12 going Division I. Three graduates went on to play in NFL. Kevin Pierre-Louis still currently playing. LEARN MORE
Vikings in Action
As the 2020-21 school year officially gets underway at King School, Viking student-athletes have already been hard at work on campus with Fall preseason training and skills development sessions taking place for Crew, Cross Country, Football, Field Hockey, Girls Soccer, Boys Soccer, and Beach Volleyball. To kick-off our 2020 Fall Preview series, Head Coach Doug Fishkin and Team Captain, Elizabeth Rizk share their thoughts on the growth of King Crew.
After being named a 2019-20 Fairchester Athletic Association (FAA) Scholar-Athlete Award winner last Spring, recent grad Thomas King ('20) can now add another soccer accolade to his resume after it was announced that he has been selected to the United States Soccer Coaches High School Scholar All-American Team. The award goes to recognize the outstanding achievement of being named one of the nation's best on the field and in the classroom for the 2019-20 academic year. It's an honor that truly reflects TK's dedication and determination toward athletics and academics throughout his time at King.
In between her weekly training schedule and preparing for outdoor volleyball tournaments, rising Junior Nicole Salantay took time to share her thoughts on returning to campus to start the 2020-21 school year, helping Vikings Volleyball earn their fifth straight NEPSAC championship last year, competing for the CT Stars, her advice on mastering time management as a student-athlete, and excelling as a leader on any court she plays on...
Taking a break from training and working out this summer, Sean Mullen ('21) took time to look back on closing out the 2019-20 school year, talk about his decision to choose to play lacrosse at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI), provide some valuable advice for fellow student-athletes striving to play in college, and goals for his upcoming Senior year at King...
Congratulations to the recipients of the 2020 US Prize Day awards. At King, excellence occurs in a community context. Our 2020 Prize Day recognizes individuals as embodiments of excellence in a diverse range of areas that are all important to our School - but the fact is that no one can achieve anything alone. "Teachers, classmates' comments or debates in class or in study groups or teams, great assignments, careful coaching - this is what supports excellence. We all call on each other to seek excellence, and we at King never stop seeking it," says Marnie Sadlowsky, Head of Upper School.
Congratulations to Thomas "TK" King for being named a 2019-20 Fairchester Athletic Association Scholar-Athlete Award winner it was announced by the FAA. In winning the award, TK becomes the 12th King School student-athlete to receive the distinction over the last 15 years.
On Sunday, King School coaches from all Spring teams went door-to-door to surprise 45 Spring Senior Athletes at their homes with gifts in recognition for their contributions to King Athletics and in honor of the Spring 2020 athletics season drawing to a close, as 10 Vikings are now officially NCAA bound.
We are excited to announce Sophomore Hugh Hentschel ('22) is a recipient of King Athletics Core Values recognition for Perseverance. The Rye, New York native has not let any obstacles deter him from growing as a tennis player and excelling as a student this school year, despite the challenges of having the 2020 Spring season go fully remote.
Thanks to her contributions with our Captain's Council, an unwavering commitment to weekly Zoom workout sessions and remote team activities, and all she has meant to the Varsity Softball Team and her teammates this Spring, we are excited to announce Senior Captain Erica Cunningham is a recipient of King Athletics Core Values recognition for her outstanding leadership.