King School Athletics is proud to welcome Rob Raphael to campus as the new head coach for the Varsity Girls Basketball program for the 2019 Winter season. A native of Norwalk, Connecticut, Coach Rob brings a diverse coaching background to the position having coached girls and boys in Norwalk, Wilton, and now anxiously awaits the start of his first season with the Vikings.
When students take part in physical pursuits and athletic competition, they experience the values of perseverance, leadership, and respect. Athletes who positively partner with others and commit to define their path to excellence emerge more confident and well-rounded. King School Athletics offers a diverse program from physical education to competitive teams, designed as an essential component of the overall educational experience. To achieve athletic excellence demands constant growth and teamwork, and our students are supported by coaches and teammates in an engaging and challenging atmosphere. We also take Viking Pride in our championship teams and our many college athletes!
- Physical Education for PreK-Grade 5.
- Competitive and non-competitive athletic offerings grades 6-8 and grades 9-12.
- Leadership and character building development programming for athletes and coaches.
- Two full-time athletic trainers and two strength coaches on staff to help support the health, well-being, and conditioning of our student-athletes.
- Assigned member of College Counseling Department for students considering college athletics.
- Service Learning and Global Education initiatives and opportunities for teams including Basketball programming in China and Soccer programming in Colombia. More to come!
- Community Partnerships: Positive Coaching Alliance, Chelsea Piers, and HSS Stamford Health.
King School Vikings Fast Facts
- 45 FAA League & Tournament Championships / 21 NEPSAC Championships/ 8 Sportsmanship Awards
- Titles/Awards Won by: Girls Volleyball, Football, Softball, Baseball, Boys Lacrosse, Crew, Ice Hockey, Girls Basketball, Boys Soccer, Boys Tennis, Girls Cross Country LEARN MORE
- Girls Volleyball has won last 5 FAA and 4 NEPSAC Titles, with incredible 93-4 record!
- Football 22-6 over last three seasons, winning two New England Championships!
- 25 college athletes in the classes of 2018 and 2019 with 12 going Division I. Three graduates went on to play in NFL. Kevin Pierre-Louis still currently playing. LEARN MORE
Vikings in Action
It was a weekend to celebrate the deep history of King School; our competitive athletics; a spirited community; and giving back. The weather cooperated (mostly) for Homecoming Weekend 2019 as families, staffulty, neighbors, friends, and alums - dating back to the Class of 1969 - gathered on campus for a fun-filled weekend.
It has been a busy past ten days for the King Family heading into Homecoming Weekend in North Stamford. A week after fraternal twin brother, Thomas King, was named Scholar Athlete of the Week by News12CT, Vikings Senior Catherine (Cat) King shared in the honors this week as the Volleyball and Tennis team captain has been selected as News12CT, Scholar Athlete of the Week.
The Vikings are extremely excited to announce Summer Lackey has been hired as the new Head Varsity Coach for the King Girls Lacrosse program. Coach Lackey is a King graduate ('10), where she was a standout Lacrosse and Soccer player, and has recently started back at King teaching in the Lower School as a Pre-K assistant.
King School Athletics is excited to announce that the King Squash Girls and Boys teams will be training and competing at Ox Ridge Riding and Racquet Club this season under the instruction of new Squash Program Director and head coach, Will Newnham.
Diana is a three-sport athlete who excels in athletics, academics, and community outreach. As a PCA Triple-Impact Competitor finalist, Degnan has embodied the model of making herself, her team, and her sport better by being a leader on and off the field.
Prior to opening Harvard University's Fall tennis campaign at the Napa Invite at Cal Berkley (September 13-15), King School ('18) athlete-alumni member Harry Walker shares how his personal experiences at King paved the way for a successful first year of college in Cambridge and with Crimson tennis.
On Tuesday, June 25, King School proudly welcomes 2019 NCAA National Champion and University of Virginia Men's Lacrosse Head Coach, Lars Tiffany to campus for a free grades 5-8 Middle School lacrosse clinic (6:30 - 7:15 p.m. on the King Turf), reception, and talk titled, "Don't Ever Give Up: The 2019 UVA Men's Lacrosse Season" (7:15 - 8:45 p.m. in the King Performing Arts Center).
At King, excellence occurs in a community context. On Prize Day, we called out individuals' names as embodiments of excellence, but the fact is that no one can achieve anything alone. "Teachers, classmates' comments or debates in class or in study groups or teams, great assignments, careful coaching - this is what supports excellence."
King put together another memorable win on Thursday against the MacDuffie School (8-7) and now advances to the New England Small Prep Schools Baseball Championship Game on Saturday at 2:00 p.m. at Providence Country Day School, where they will face the Winchendon School (MA.).