December 2019 Schedule Pilot
Throughout this December, the Upper School will pilot a modified version of this year's schedule that creates longer class periods and fewer of them per day. (The pilot schedule is reproduced at bottom). You can read more about our thinking here. In short, we are examining how a schedule like this one - this is not a design we expect actually to adopt, but an experiment carved out within the confines of this year's existing schedule - might affect the teaching and learning in our classrooms, the extent to which students are engaged with their learning, and everyone's wellness.
Starting November 20, students may view their own, processed pilot schedules, including the meeting times of their "minor" classes, on the Color Schedules Server.
- How are teachers planning lessons for such long periods?
- How will students learn enough this way?
- What about students with attention deficits?
- How does the pilot change our homework policy?
- What if I miss school? Won’t I be twice as far behind?
- How can I use longer stretches of open time (either free periods or study halls)?