Head of Middle School Search
Dear King Parents,
I am writing to share an update with you on the progress we have made on the search for a new Head of Middle School. As you know, finding the right person to lead the Middle School is one of my top priorities this year.
As I have shared at the State of the School meeting and in the Middle School coffees, we already have completed important steps that set us on the best path for this search:
- Hired a search consultant, Dr. Jerry Larson from Educational Directions
- Defined the search process and its timeline
- Completed the Head of Middle School position statement
- Convened the Search Committee
Thank you for your support and partnership.
Dr. Karen E. Eshoo
Head of School
Please click on the tabs below to read more.
- Head of Middle School position statement
- Search committee
- Search consulting firm, Educational Directions
- Search process overview
The Head of Middle School position statement describes King, the opportunity that King offers for its next Head of Middle School, as well as the attributes King seeks in this new leader.
To view the position statement,
- Current parents, students, and staffulty: Please click here to access the position statement. You will need to use your portal login information to access the document.
- If you do not have access to the King School website portal areas and would like to request access to this document, please click here.
MEET THE SEARCH COMMITTEE
- Karen Eshoo, Chair: Head of School
- Carol Brown: Mathematics Faculty
- Jesse Coulombe: Director of Teaching and Learning
- Mi-Sun Freeman: Trustee, P'29, '22
- Eric Gerster: Trustee, P'22
- Stephanie Hoos: English Faculty
- Ben Magidson: Middle School Dean of Students
- Nina Newman: Director of Admission and Financial Aid
- Marnie Sadlowsky: Associate Head of School for Program, Head of Upper School
- Tom Vorenberg: History and English Faculty
- Rob Waller: History Faculty, Scheduler and Registrar
We have selected a nationally recognized educational search firm, Educational Directions (EDI), whose search practice focuses on Heads and Senior Administrators. Our team at EDI will be led by Dr. Jerry Larson.
Jerry began his independent school career at Phillips Exeter Academy, NH, and after time at the collegiate level, went to Tabor Academy, MA, where he held a number of administrative roles in addition to being a faculty member and coach. He also headed Cheshire Academy, CT, a coed boarding/day school.
Jerry visited the King campus in September to meet with the Middle School faculty and staff as well as the Trustees serving on the search committee.
- Interview potential search consulting firms (complete)
- Select search consulting firm (complete)
- Search committee forms (complete)
- Search consultant visits King School campus to meet with and learn from King staffulty and Trustees (complete)
- Head of Middle School position statement is developed (complete)
- Search committee and Educational Directions (EDI) work to develop a group of candidates and vet to 6-8 semi-finalists
- Search committee and EDI interview semi-finalist candidates
November- December 2018
- Search committee and EDI identify 3 finalist candidates
- Finalists visit King School to meet broadly with members of the community, tour the campus, and observe classes
- Karen Eshoo reviews search committee's recommendations and selects new Head of Middle School
- Head of Middle School Elect is announced to the community
- July: New Head of Middle School begins
- September: King School community welcomes new Head of Middle School