Head of Middle School Search
Dear King Community,
I am excited to share that, after interviewing 11 semi-finalists for the Head of Middle School position, the search committee has identified four finalists.
This group of finalist candidates is very strong in terms of experience, expertise, and alignment with King’s values. The finalists have advanced degrees in Education and/or their academic fields of study, Middle School leadership experience, expertise in leading curricular initiatives, and commitment to both student-centered educational philosophies and teacher development. Please visit the Head of Middle School Search page on our website to read about each finalist candidate and review the Head of Middle School Position Statement.
During the weeks of December 3 and December 10, the finalists each will spend a day on campus for meetings with Middle School staffulty, Middle School parents, students, the School leadership team, Trustees, the search committee and me. Parents of current Middle School students and parents of current 5th grade students are especially encouraged to attend the sessions for each of the finalists, where there will an opportunity to meet the candidate and ask questions. You can learn the dates for these open forums with the finalists and read their bios on the Head of Middle School Search page on our website.
Everyone who meets with the candidates will be asked to provide anonymous feedback after their session, and the search committee will review the feedback forms after all of the visits are complete. They will then recommend the top candidate, and I will appoint the new Head of Middle School - likely right before we all go away for the winter holidays..
This is an exciting time for King, and I am thrilled that we attracted such outstanding candidates in our finalist round. As they come to campus, please help us welcome them by demonstrating what a special School and community we are.Regards,
Dr. Karen E. Eshoo
Head of School
Please click on the tabs below to read more.
- Learn about the finalist candiates. Attend the parent forums.
- Head of Middle School position statement
- Search committee
- Search consulting firm, Educational Directions
- Search process overview
- Email update 10/29/18
- Email update 10/2/18
We are excited to introduce these experienced finalist candidates for the Head of Middle School position. Current parents, students, and staffulty, to view the candidates' bios and the dates for the open parent forums, please click here and login.
The Head of Middle School position statement describes King, the opportunity that King offers for its next Head of Middle School, as well as the attributes King seeks in this new leader.
To view the position statement,
- Current parents, students, and staffulty: Please click here to access the position statement. You will need to use your portal login information to access the document.
- If you do not have access to the King School website portal areas and would like to request access to this document, please click here.
MEET THE SEARCH COMMITTEE
- Karen Eshoo, Chair: Head of School
- Carol Brown: Mathematics Faculty
- Jesse Coulombe: Director of Teaching and Learning
- Mi-Sun Freeman: Trustee, P'29, '22
- Eric Gerster: Trustee, P'22
- Stephanie Hoos: English Faculty
- Ben Magidson: Middle School Dean of Students
- Nina Newman: Director of Admission and Financial Aid
- Marnie Sadlowsky: Associate Head of School for Program, Head of Upper School
- Tom Vorenberg: History and English Faculty
- Rob Waller: History Faculty, Scheduler and Registrar
We have selected a nationally recognized educational search firm, Educational Directions (EDI), whose search practice focuses on Heads and Senior Administrators. Our team at EDI will be led by Dr. Jerry Larson.
Jerry began his independent school career at Phillips Exeter Academy, NH, and after time at the collegiate level, went to Tabor Academy, MA, where he held a number of administrative roles in addition to being a faculty member and coach. He also headed Cheshire Academy, CT, a coed boarding/day school.
Jerry visited the King campus in September to meet with the Middle School faculty and staff as well as the Trustees serving on the search committee.
- Interview potential search consulting firms (complete)
- Select search consulting firm (complete)
- Search committee forms (complete)
- Search consultant visits King School campus to meet with and learn from King staffulty and Trustees (complete)
- Head of Middle School position statement is developed (complete)
- Search committee and Educational Directions (EDI) work to develop a group of candidates and vet to 11 semi-finalists (complete)
- Search committee and EDI interview semi-finalist candidates (complete)
November- December 2018
- Search committee and EDI identify 4 finalist candidates (complete)
- Finalists visit King School to meet broadly with members of the community, tour the campus, and teach a class (complete)
- Karen Eshoo reviews search committee's recommendations and selects new Head of Middle School
- Head of Middle School Elect is announced to the community
- July: New Head of Middle School begins
- September: King School community welcomes new Head of Middle School
Dear King Community,
I am writing to update you on our search for the new Head of Middle School. We were happy to have attracted interest from 47 candidates from across the country for the position, and that pool now has been narrowed to 10 semi-finalists.
Members of the search committee and I are in the process of interviewing those candidates, and we will meet again during the week of November 5 to select our finalists. It is likely that we will have three or four finalists, each of whom will spend a day on campus meeting with Middle School staffulty, parents, and students, as well as members of the Board of Trustees.
Once the finalists' schedules are set, I will write to the community again to share their names and short biographies, as well as the dates of their visits. Happily, we still are on track to name our new Head of Middle School before the winter break begins in December. Thank you!
Dr. Karen E. EshooHead of School
Dear King Parents,
I am writing to share an update with you on the progress we have made on the search for a new Head of Middle School. As you know, finding the right person to lead the Middle School is one of my top priorities this year.
As I have shared at the State of the School meeting and in the Middle School coffees, we already have completed important steps that set us on the best path for this search:
- Hired a search consultant, Dr. Jerry Larson from Educational Directions
- Defined the search process and its timeline
- Completed the Head of Middle School position statement
- Convened the Search Committee
Thank you for your support and partnership.
Dr. Karen E. Eshoo
Head of School