We invite you to learn about King's Private Elementary School. Explore the benefits below, browse the LS Curriculum, and check out the LS News and Events. For younger students please also visit our Early Childhood page. If you feel King Lower School might be right for your child, click the links below to inquire for more information about the school, schedule an on campus visit or to view our online application.
At the heart of King's private elementary school is our exceptional Faculty who know each of their students as an individual -- and use their students' interests, learning patterns, and personal goals as part of lesson planning, course selections, and activities outside the classroom -- all directed towards inspiring, challenging, and supporting each learner. Our talented elementary school students thrive in a challenging academic program within a culture of integrity, kindness, perseverance, and respect. We prepare students for a lifetime of learning by developing skills at an early age, building a foundation in STEM, reading and writing, and more.
Within a safe, nurturing community, students are comfortable to collaborate with others and take risks, and, in the process, children gain confidence in their abilities to be successful learners. Our teachers, students, and parents together foster the intellectual, social, and emotional growth of each student.
- Readers and Writers workshop approach engages students with material that is of high interest and aligns with their personal goals. Students develop as avid and skilled readers and writers.
- Teachers address whole group skills and differentiate for the needs of each student within smaller groups and one-on-one meetings.
Science, technology, engineering & math (STEM)
- Students observe, discover, predict, and question.
- Makerspace, Lower School Science Lab, Computer Science Media Center, Lower School Garden, and classroom activities all provide inspiration and tools for students to tinker and practice designing solutions to real world problems, so students gain a greater sense of self-confidence and purpose.
- Science units are integrated with Computer Science and Digital Applications, including robotics.
- Key ideas span multiple scientific themes, including: life cycles, biomes, design and engineering, the scientific method, and sustainability. Capstone projects include the Sound Fair, Invention Convention, and Science Fair.
- Highly respected Singapore Math Program focuses on mastery of fundamental concepts rather than memorization, instilling mathematical confidence and preparing students for the Middle School disciplines of algebra and geometry.
- Students’ skills advance from numeric patterns and mental math to graphs, word problems, and predictions.
- Societal awareness is developed by studying key themes, including: Stories Around the World, American History, American Indians, immigration, and geography.
- Field trips to prominent sites, including the Harriet Beecher Stowe house, the Hartford capitol building, and Philadelphia’s National Constitution Museum enrich classroom learning and help students understand society in an authentic way.
ADDITIONAL CROSS GRADE SUBJECTS AND COURSES
Expanding the foundation of our core courses, additional Specialist subjects and courses enable students to explore Spanish, French, Mandarin, Library, Art, Music, and Physical Education.