KING'S DISTINCTIVE PERSONALIZED APPROACH TO TEACHING AND LEARNING
At King School, we know each student well, both as a person and as a learner. We believe knowing students well is crucial to academic excellence because students who feel noticed, known, validated, and valued as individuals are more likely to engage fully and even joyfully in the challenges of learning with resilience and success. They are more likely to feel safe and take the intellectual and developmental and emotional risks needed to enable growth.
Our teachers know the power of using their students' interests, learning patterns, and personal goals as part of lesson planning and classroom activities in the context of a challenging academic experience.
Why does King Personalize?
- To understand each student as an individual and support them as they mature and grow into a lifelong learner.
- To help students develop a self awareness to maximize their learning.
- To facilitate ongoing opportunities for all students to improve, accelerate, maximize their ability, and succeed in a challenging academic environment.
HOW DOES KING PERSONALIZE?
Fundamental to this approach is our exceptional Faculty. King Faculty are keenly committed to personalized teaching and learning, defined by:
- Teachers Focused on Students: Our teachers use student-centered approaches to teaching and learning, leveraging the latest research on best practices in education. Our dedicated Directors of Teaching and Learning, in each division, guide and support our Faculty.
- Teachers Always Learning: King’s ongoing Professional Growth and Development (PG&D) furthers teachers’ own learning in the areas of both student development and content mastery. King makes nearly the highest investment in PG&D among our peer schools. 100% of teachers participate in at least two PG&D training sessions each year.
- Comprehensive Student Learning Profile System: King has developed a proprietary, internal system that highlights each student’s learning strengths, challenges, and goals. Teachers actively contribute to and utilize this database to support our students’ development over time as they move through our rich, rigorous academic program.
- Thoughtful Curriculum Design: A deep commitment to careful curriculum planning and design gives students ample opportunities to draw meaning from what they experience and demonstrate what they have learned.
- Flexible Curricular Opportunities: Curricular flexibility offers depth and breadth across a wide range of subjects. For example, in elementary school, students move among a range of learning groups according to their language and mathematical fluency. In Middle School, students who are passionate about computer science can complete a course of study that prepares them to take AP Programming by Grade 9; Middle School math scholars can take high school classes. In high school, students can choose among a range of accelerated courses, electives, and Diploma Distinctions, as well as independent tutorials and research-and-development classes.