We invite you to learn about King's Private Elementary School. Explore the benefits below, browse the LS Curriculum, and check out the LS News and Events. For younger students please also visit our Early Childhood page. If you feel King Lower School might be right for your child, click the links below to inquire for more information about the school, schedule an on campus visit or to view our online application.
At the heart of King's private elementary school is our exceptional Faculty who offer a personalized approach to teaching and learning for each child, as a person and as a learner. Our talented elementary school students thrive in a challenging academic program within a culture of integrity, kindness, perseverance, and respect. We prepare students for a lifetime of learning by developing skills at an early age, building a foundation in STEM, reading and writing, and more.
Within a safe, nurturing community, students are comfortable to collaborate with others and take risks, and, in the process, children gain confidence in their abilities to be successful learners. Our teachers, students, and parents together foster the intellectual, social, and emotional growth of each student.
- Students articulate their ideas independently and refine their writing and thought processes through drafting, editing and producing final written pieces.
- Students learn to analyze texts, present information, and apply research skills to uncover deeper meaning by drawing upon personal experiences and the world around them.
- Whole class and small group instruction provides students with opportunities for developing their reading, and for discussion and reflection.
- Students pursue hands-on application -- in the LS Science Lab, classrooms and the Lower School Garden -- of key ideas that span multiple scientific themes, including: life cycles, biomes, design and engineering, the scientific method, and sustainability.
- Science units are integrated with Computer Science and Digital Applications, including robotics.
- Capstone projects such as the Sound Fair, Invention Convention, and Science Fair provide opportunities for discovery and discussion.
- The highly respected Singapore Math Program focuses on mastery of fundamental concepts rather than memorization, instilling mathematical confidence and preparing students for the Middle School disciplines of algebra and geometry.
- Students’ skills advance from numeric patterns and mental math to graphs, word problems, and predictions.
- Societal awareness is developed by studying key themes, including: Stories Around the World, American History, Native Americans, immigration, and geography.
- Field trips to prominent sites, including the Harriet Beecher Stowe house, the Hartford capitol building, and Boston’s Freedom Trail, enrich classroom learning and help students understand society in an authentic way.
ADDITIONAL CROSS GRADE SUBJECTS AND COURSES
- Expanding the foundation of our core courses, additional cross grade subjects and courses enable students to explore Technology, Spanish, French, Library, Art, Music, and Physical Education.