We invite you to learn about the Academic Preschool and Private Kindergarten programs at King School. Explore the King Lower School benefits below, browse the LS Curriculum, and check out the LS News and Events. If you feel King Lower School might be right for your child, click the links below to inquire for more information about the school, schedule an on campus visit or to view our online application.
Private PreKindergarten & Kindergarten
Begin your academic journey in the King Lower School where our excellent, caring Faculty help students develop a foundation of skills vital for future learning and success. King Faculty are deeply committed to a personalized approach to teaching and learning. We believe knowing students well is crucial for learning, because students who feel known and understood are more likely to engage fully.
King Full Day and Half Day PreK and Full Day Kindergarten students actively and joyfully experience a rigorous academic curriculum. An experiential, interactive program nurtures a love of learning and working with others, and teaches students how to ask questions, make discoveries, think critically, and analyze and solve problems. The core of our PreKindergarten and Full Day Kindergarten program focuses on Language Arts, Science, Math, and Social Studies, and our additional cross grade subjects and courses expand students’ learning even further.
- Daily read-aloud and discussion build awareness of story structure and comprehension skills.
- A variety of learning modalities (visual, auditory and kinesthetic senses) and a comprehensive word study program help students develop and strengthen reading skills.
- Sight word vocabulary builds throughout the year and students create short films to create and animate Word Wall words.
- Students observe, discover, predict, and question, in the classroom and in the Lower School Science Lab.
- Children are introduced to engineering concepts, such as building a house of spaghetti and marshmallows.
- The highly respected Singapore Math Program is supported with hands-on activities and manipulatives, helping students move from the concrete to the pictorial to the abstract.
- Children learn to view the world through a variety of perspectives, their own and others, to understand their role as a member of a community.
- Songs, stories and art projects encourage students to develop an appreciation for national, cultural, and religious diversity.
ADDITIONAL CROSS GRADE SUBJECTS AND COURSES
- Expanding the foundation of our core courses, additional cross grade subjects and courses enable students to explore Technology, Spanish, Library, Art, Music, and Physical Education.